Pokémon is a popular media franchise owned by The Pokémon Company. It includes video games, anime, manga, trading cards, and various other products. The franchise was created by Satoshi Tajiri and Ken Sugimori and first introduced in Japan in 1996. One of the most notable aspects of the franchise is the vast number of creatures known as Pokémon.
How Many Pokemon Are There?
As of 2023, there are a total of 1,015 different species of Pokémon. This number includes all the Pokémon from the various generations of the main series games as well as those introduced in spin-off games and other media.
- The first generation of Pokémon introduced 151 species
- The second generation has 100.
- The third generation introduced 135 new Pokémon
- The fourth Generation has added 107.
- The fifth generation introduced 156 new Pokémon,
- The sixth generation added 72
- the seventh generation added 88,
- The eighth introduced 89 new species.
- The most recent generation,the Ninth generation has 103 new Species
It’s worth noting that not all Pokémon are created equal. Some are more common than others, and some are considered to be more powerful or valuable. Each Pokémon has unique characteristics, including elemental types, abilities, and movesets.